Greetings, readers! As per usual, I'm dropping in from some sort of "busy" hiatus that kept me from writing about all of the food fun that's been on my plate and in my brain lately. I have been tending to my wild baby boy and working all sorts of strange hours lately. Thankfully along with the every day stuff I've also been sippin' on lattes and enjoying a lot of good Netflix and Foodnetwork shows. If you're looking for some new binge watching material in the land of tastiness, look no further!
1. Salt Fat Acid Heat
My new favorite Netflix mini series! If you were a fan of Michael Pollan's Cooked this is going to be another favorite. Samin Nosrat was actually a guest on the Water chapter of Cooked. Her goal in this series is to explore the 4 elements -salt, fat, acid, and heat and how they can be added to dishes/ingredients to make food more delicious. I binge watched this one in an afternoon. My next order of business is buying the book!
2. Chef's Table
I've touched on Chef's Table before... I am OBSESSED! I love how artistic every episode of the series is can generally feel tears welling in my eyes when the intro orchestra gets rolling! The new season just came out and highlights another group of creative chefs across the globe. I can't recommend this show enough for people who appreciate gastronomy and high quality, creative dishes. I find myself adding restaurants to my bucket list anytime I turn this on. Watch it and then geek out with me about it sometime.
3. Girl Meets Farm
I caught a glimpse of Girl meets Farm one morning before work and was hooked on Molly Yeh's cooking style and her overall aesthetic. Girl Meets Farm is one of Foodnetwork's newest shows that's on every Sunday morning. Although I find Molly's personality to be the worst, I still watch because I love her kitchen and want everything in it! She has a boho/country/retro vibe going on and it really helps to distract you from the dorky things she says nonstop. She's basically like a young, Anthropologie-loving, Pioneer woman for millenials. If that doesn't completely deter you from wanting to watch a new show, check out Girl Meets Farm 😂
Anyway... to the main point of this post: there IS a fine dining scene in Erie! After growing up here I was convinced that all Erie had was hotdogs and Olive Garden, but thankfully I was wrong. There's a small (but growing) number of local spots with passionate chefs and beautiful dishes! I plan to make my way around town to try more (and hopefully blog more) in the coming months! My first fancy spot in the 814 was 1201 Kitchen -a chic destination that showcases contemporary Asian and Latin fare. My friend, Meagan, and I split several dishes and then went our separate ways for mains before returning to the same plate for dessert. Here's what we tried:
Mint espresso - to round out the night I got this cocktail that had Kahlua, espresso, mint, and chocolate in it. I love all things minty, chocolatey, and coffee-y. Also, coffee and fruit are a great combo so this went really well with our dessert!
1201 Kitchen was one of the first fancy restaurants to come up in Erie and it's taken me too long to get there. It was a great first chapter in my Erie fine dining book. If you're looking for a place to go for a romantic date or a girls night out or a family celebration this is a perfect choice. If you've already been to 1201 Kitchen, what was your favorite dish? If you haven't been there, GO! Also, if you have a favorite restaurant in or near Erie please let me know so I can add it to my list.







0 Comments